Introduction to Robots: What is a Robot? (Grades K-2)
Early learners answer the questions “What are robots?” “How do they work?” and “What can they do?” Young learners are encouraged to combine creative thinking and intrinsic motivation using cutting-edge technology and Scratch, a free-to-use drag-and-drop creative learning environment developed by MIT Media Lab.
Young learners answer the questions “What is the history of Unmanned Aviation?” and “How do they work?” Students learn how to program drone flight through coding in the Droneblocks application.
- explain Colby’s robot function
- write a command for Colby to follow.
- create a sequence of instructions
- program a robot to move to a specific point.
- write a line of code.
- program and debug Colby to follow my line of code.
- retell stories orally.
- retell stories by creating a coding sequence.
- understand sequences and give precise directions.
- engage in collaborative teamwork to problem solve.
- give directions and read a map.
- code Colby to get from one place on a map to another.
- make a creative maze for Colby.
- write a sequence for Colby to go through the maze.
- code a sequence.
- use sequence words to describe the order of events.
- explain how to add and subtract on a number line.
- write a code to move Colby to find sums and differences.
Examples of Some Standards Addressed
K-2-PS3-2 Use tools and materials provided to design and build a device that solves a specific problem or a solution to a specific problem.
K-2-ETS1-1 Ask questions, make observations, and gather information about a situation people want to change to define a simple problem that can be solved through the development of a new or improved object or tool.
|Robots: K-2 Week 1||Saturday, November 13, 2021||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 2||Saturday, November 20, 2021||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 3||Saturday, December 4, 2021||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 4||Saturday, December 11, 2021||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 5||Saturday, December 18, 2021||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 6||Saturday, January 8, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 1|
|Robots: K-2 Week 7||Saturday, January 15, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|
|Robots: K-2 Week 8||Saturday, January 22, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|
|Robots: K-2 Week 9||Saturday, January 29, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|
|Robots: K-2 Week 10||Saturday, February 5, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|
|Robots: K-2 Week 11||Saturday, February 12, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|
|Robots: K-2 Week 12||Saturday, February 19, 2022||11am-12pm||Level 2|